Alteryx Designer, Alteryx Server
Latest release: November 28, 2017Alteryx Designer 11.7.4 Alteryx Server 11.7.4 View All Downloads
Latest release: November 28, 2017Alteryx Connect 2.0.0 Connect Loaders 2.0.0
Predictive Analytics DownloadsView Predictive Installs
Data DownloadsView Alteryx Data Installs
The Alteryx Analytics platform includes the following products, features, enhancements, and bug fixes. Prior release notes can be found on the Previous Releases page.
For an overview of system requirements, see Technical Specifications.
Important reminder about upgrading Alteryx software: Your Alteryx license will continue to function when a new version is installed. No licensing action is needed.
Alteryx Designer 11.7
- The Visual Layout tool has been enhanced so that you can resize a table or map reporting element after it is placed on the report page, and immediately visualize the change. Reminder: This tool is in the Laboratory category and is not for production use. It may have documented known issues, may not be feature complete, may not be backwards compatible, and is subject to change. Your feedback when using this tool is appreciated. Submit feedback here.
- Data profiling in the Browse tool now uses Plotly to display charting information. Users can save a chart as a .png file.
Enhanced Data Sources
- Alteryx now supports Microsoft SQL Server ODBC driver versions 11, 13 and 13.1 (previously named SQL Server Native Client) for standard and In-DB connections.
- The HTML GUI SDK has been updated and now includes a new list box and radio button widget, as well as improved documentation with additional resources to build custom tools.
- The Python SDK (beta) introduces the ability to create new Alteryx tool run-times with the Python programming language. Note: The Python SDK is only available for admin installations.
- You can now create multiple connections between tools simultaneously. Select one or more tools and right-click to select View Possible Connections.
- A macro in a workflow now automatically updates when changes to the macro are saved.
- A macro tool that has an HTML interface (such as: Linear Regression) now displays a macro indicator when placed on the canvas. Right-click the tool to open and modify the macro. Interface changes made to a macro with an HTML interface must also be made to the corresponding HTML GUI file.
- Administrators can now install .yxi tools for all users of a machine at once.
- When opening Designer, you will see a second tab with a Learning Guide of Alteryx resources.
- A new Help option in User Settings allows you to select a language other than English for the online Help.
- Performance is now improved for the SharePoint List tools.
- Alteryx now shows an error when a network issue causes an incomplete data transfer.
- An issue with some SQL queries not showing in the SQL Editor has been resolved.
- Multiple one-tool examples were added:
- Check Box
- Drop Down
- Text Box
- Dynamic Replace
- A misleading variable importance plot has been removed from the interactive visualization in the Linear Regression tool.
- Decision Tree models using the C5.0 algorithm can now be used with the Score tool.
- The Field Summary tool has been updated to:
- Show a true percentage in the summary statistics Percent Missing column for DateTime fields.
- Support non-Latin characters.
- The Spline Model tool has been updated to allow the number of folds per cross validation to be greater than 1 fold.
- An issue where two records were returned when scoring a single record from the Boosted Model tool has been fixed.
- Standard Deviation is now correctly labeled in the Distribution Analysis tool static report.
- The Boosted Model tool (both standard and In-DB) now properly treats integer target variables as strictly numeric.
- The maxNumBins variable in the In-DB versions of the Boosted Model, Decision Tree, and Forest Model tools has been corrected to be an integer, as decimal values are not valid for that variable.
- The In-DB version of the Linear Regression tool now accommodates a dataset containing only numeric predictors.
- An issue where if you selected a Browse tool, the Profile tab might display “Please wait…Rendering” continuously has been fixed.
- The Manage Data Connections window may display incorrectly when using the Medium display size in Windows.
- If you install a localized version of 11.7 (French or German) alongside version 11.0 (English), version 11.0 will change to the localized language.
- The "Add to Dictionary" option is not available with inline spell checking when the word is not recognized.
- Weighted models for C5.0 decision trees in the Decision Tree tool are not currently available due to a bug in the C5.0 R package. The bug has been reported to the package owner and we hope to support weighted C5.0 models in the future.
- The Results window may not show the in progress messages log the first time a workflow is run.
- When creating a new Microsoft SQL Server connection for in-database predictive functionality:
- Passwords containing a semicolon (;) are not currently supported.
- The user-specified Connection Name (in the Manage In-DB Connections window) must match the data source name (in the Windows ODBC Data Source Administrator).
- You must specify a User Name and Password in the SQL Server ODBC Connection window.
- When adding an “Other” connection type in the Manage Data Connections window, the Other Database Connection window may disappear when clicking the Connection String drop-down. If the window disappears, you can still select a database type for the connection string.
- If you click Cancel while a workflow is currently saving to a Gallery on Alteryx Server, the save operation may still complete. You will need to manually delete the workflow from your studio.
- When saving credentials for your default gallery, the credentials may not persist the next time you run Designer. As a workaround, enter the credentials again with “Keep me logged in” selected.
- When creating a new Oracle connection via Manage Data Connections and using the Oracle instant client install process, the Type dropdown may not show options. As a workaround, use an Input Data tool to create the Oracle connection.
- The interactive report from the TS Plot tool can give incorrect Seasonplot values. The correct values can be seen in the static report.
- The Cross Validation and Model Comparison tools on the Predictive District of the Gallery are not compatible with the Linear Regression, Logistic Regression, and Decision Tree tool versions released with Alteryx 11.0. As a workaround, change the tool version to 1.0:
- Right-click a Linear Regression, Logistic Regression, or Decision Tree tool.
- Point to Choose Tool Version and select version 1.0.
- The Decision Tree tool's interactive report ("I" output) does not support the use of cross-validation. To use cross-validation, view the static report ("R" output).
- The .zip format is not supported on the Gallery when chosen through a File Browse question.
- In the Alteryx Geocoding App (found under Options > Run Analytic Apps), the interactive mode does not work for editing unmatched addresses. To work around this issue, select “Do not allow Interactive mode” on the Geocoder Options tab. If you have “Match and geocode” enabled, you can identify addresses that didn’t get an exact match by checking your results for records where the GEO_MatchStatus does not equal “Exact”.
- The Alteryx interface and installation dialogs may not display correctly on machines using a Windows Classic/Standard/Basic theme. To work around this issue, switch your Windows theme. Note that the Windows theme cannot be changed on Virtual Machines.
- Packaged (.yxi) tools downloaded from the Alteryx Analytics Gallery with Internet Explorer are saved as .zip files by default, thus preventing Alteryx from recognizing these files. As a workaround, change the extension to .yxi before downloading (using the "Save as" option) or after downloading.
- If you upload a workflow to the Alteryx Analytics Gallery containing an Optimization tool configured in “Specify the model from a file” mode, the file path asset is not uploaded. Use the following workaround to upload the asset:
- Click the canvas to open workflow configuration properties.
- Within the Events tab, click Add > Run Command > Asset(s) tab > Add File(s).
- Browse to the optimization model file, and click "Open".
- Click the Event tab, and then click "OK".
- Select the Optimization tool.
- Under “Select file”, modify the path as follows:
- In the Simulation Sampling tool configuration, fitting to a pareto distribution and fitting non-count data to discrete distributions can result in an error.
Alteryx Server and Gallery 11.7
There were no key features introduced with this release.
- Administrators can now optionally install a .yxi tool for all Server users, making it easier for users to schedule workflows and run workflows from the Gallery.
- Gallery administrators can now view a maximum of 100 data connections in Gallery Admin (formerly 25).
- When testing a new Oracle connection via the Gallery Admin panel, you may see the error “System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater” despite possible valid connection parameters. As a workaround, try testing the connection in Designer:
- On the Alteryx Server box, launch Alteryx Designer.
- Go to Options > Advanced Options > Manage Data Connections > Add Connection > Oracle.
- Specify the connection parameters and click "Test". If the test is successful, you may ignore the error in Gallery. If the test fails, contact your database administrator to verify your connection parameters and, if necessary, install the Oracle drivers on Alteryx Server.
Alteryx Connect 2.0
Important: Alteryx Connect is an add-on to Alteryx Server 11.3 (minimum) and must be installed on a separate node. Run the separate Connect Loaders installer as administrator on the same machine as Alteryx Server. To install Alteryx Connect, see the Alteryx Connect Help. Connect 2.0 recognizes objects in a different manner. If upgrading to 2.0, you will lose manual edits made to your catalog, including descriptions, links, and conversations. Contact Alteryx Support for guidance through a one-off migration procedure to avoid losing any of your content.
Enhanced Installation and Configuration
- The Alteryx Connect installer now detects an existing installation and prompts to upgrade.
- A configuration wizard now guides administrators through the initial configuration of Alteryx Connect.
New Data Sources
You can now upload metadata to Alteryx Connect from:
- Amazon S3
- Apache Hive
- Microsoft Power BI
- The Alteryx Connect SDK enables partners and customers to develop their own metadata loaders.
- Windows Authentication allows Connect users to log in using their domain credentials.
- Metadata for files now includes a list of sheets and columns for .xlsx files and columns for .csv and .yxdb files.
- In-line editing is now supported on the asset page for the Alternate names, Description, Owner, and Tags fields.
- You can now hover over an asset link to see a pop-up with asset details.
- The database no longer performs a full re-index after a system restart.
- An "Access denied" permissions issue has been resolved.
- An issue where adding a new asset owner removed existing owners has been resolved.
- The handling of forgotten user passwords now follows OWASP guidelines.
- Adding tags to an asset can intermittently cause that asset to disappear from its parent list.
- An automatic logout due to user inactivity can cause the Connect login screen to become unresponsive. As a workaround, close the browser and re-open the Connect instance.
- Latin and non-Latin fonts display differently (for example, bolded versus unbolded) in the Connect user interface.
- Adding a table to a field with the in-line editor can cause the update process to hang.
- If Connect is uninstalled and reinstalled, the installer reverts the db password reference in the property file to "sa". Manually reset the password in the property file after reinstallation.
- If Alteryx Server is installed in a directory that is not named “Alteryx,” (for example, C:\AlteryxABC), the Alteryx Connect Loaders cannot run properly. As a workaround:
- Close Alteryx Designer.
- Go to Alteryx Server installation path\Alteryx\bin\HtmlPlugins and copy directories ConnectJsonBuilder and ConnectOutput.
- Paste the directories to Alteryx Server installation path\bin\HtmlPlugins.
- Restart Alteryx Designer.
Alteryx makes every effort to ensure that workflows created in one version will continue to work as expected when you install a newer version of the software. However, workflows created in a new version may contain features or functionality not present in earlier versions. For this reason, workflows created on a new version of Alteryx cannot be opened using a version with an older (lower) version number.
We recommend that organizations wait to perform a version upgrade when all users who collaborate together are ready to make the upgrade. Alternately, users who wish to install more than one version of Alteryx on a single machine can make use of Admin/ Non-Admin installations.
Version Support Policy
Alteryx, Inc. supports the most recent major release and associated minor releases and stable updates, along with the immediately preceding major release and associated minor releases and stable updates.
A major release includes new functionality not present in a preceding release. A minor release includes tweaks to existing functionality and new functionality.
Currently supported versions: Alteryx Designer, Alteryx Server
Currently supported versions: Alteryx Connect